Thursday, July 31, 2008

10,000 Feet Later

I have a tendency to get really creative, and stupid, when planning my long rides here in Denver. The process is pretty straight forward: upload a route to Google Earth that I've ridden before, then add or deviate slightly from that route to create a new and exciting ride. Below is the route that I decided to use as a base for today's ride...kind of...
After a great day of training yesterday, an interval run and speed work in the water, I was feeling especially ambitious last night in the planning of today's route. I decided that I would ride from my place in central Denver through Evergreen, up Squaw Pass and to Echo Lake. Echo Lake is right after the turnoff to the highest paved point in North America, Mt Evans, so this would be the perfect ride to see if riding up Mt Evans and back was actually feasible...it's not...

The climb up Squaw pass is a grueling 15 miles that starts at 7,800 feet and peaks at 11,202 (according to my Garmin). The pass itself is a tough endeavor, not to mention the 30 miles getting to the climb and the 30 miles home. Now top that off with being stupid and you have yourself a nice little Thursday ride.

As I climb through Evergreen toward Squaw Pass I know that nutrition is critical on a ride like this. Hammering down a good amount of calories and a lot of fluids is key to staying safe, sane, and upright. Today I'm having trouble with my nutrition, my Inifinit isn't playing nice with my stomach and, well, I'm just being dumb. I run out of water 8 miles from Echo Lake, too far to make it to the lake (there's a restaurant/gift shop right before the lake) and too far from Evergreen for a refill. Luckily, there is a ski resort about 7miles from Echo lake called, appropriately enough, Echo Mountain. There is no summer operations at this resort, but I am betting that there is going to be a place to fill up water. Naturally, it isn't as easy as pulling into a parking lot, topping off, and heading out. Nope. Instead I'm greeted with open arms by a steeply graded dirt road who is egging me on, "I see that you are extremely tired, kind of shaky, and not really riding straight, why don't you ride down my made-for-a-4x4-truck, loose and rocky terrain? Oh, and watch out for the potholes and deep sand." Seriously!? I'm the dumb one after all. A few grave moments on the dirt give way to one glorious event, an open bathroom door with an endless supply of tap water! Not gonna lie, I was getting pretty scared.

I ride at my limit up that dirt road to avoid walking/falling and then it's clear, I'm going to make it to Echo Lake. Now there's that old saying in the mountain climbing world, getting to the top is only halfway there. In the case of Echo Lake you have to ascend about 1,000 feet to get to the top of Squaw pass before the downhill starts. The legs burn, and I'm not talking about that good burn, but the thought of 15miles of downhill make another 1,000 feet of climbing not too big of an obstacle.

The ride back is going really well, and very fast, until I hit the edge of Denver. Today the forecast for Denver calls for temps in the low 100s and at about 2pm, it's hot. The perfect weather of the upper 70s at Squaw pass is 80s in Evergreen and then 90s in Denver. I am greeted by Satan at each stoplight as he lights a fire under my ass just to make sure that my sweat rate is purely ridiculous. Extremely depleted, hungry, thirsty, and lightheaded I am happy to be finished. The time has come, after 100+ miles of riding and 10,000 feet of climbing, to relax and refuel in the comfort of my climate controlled apartment. Wait, the A/C at our place is broke? 97 degrees outside when I finish the ride, 90 degrees inside...Fuck.

As for the ride to the top of Mt Evans and back...it's not possible if I ride like I did today. With proper nutrition, my road bike (I rode my tri bike today...not an uphill bike), and good hydration, riding those extra 24 miles is insanely possible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're insane. Aside from the hellacious visit of imps in Denver...sounds like it would have been awesome.